Thursday, July 5, 2012

07/05/2012

I got up early again this morning to go outside and get a few things done before starting work. I hauled a couple more loads of brush to the burn pile. I still have one or maybe two more loads, which shouldn't take more than an hour or so to clean up. Its about time to mow over there again, so the timing should work out well.

My plan was to go back out this evening and harvest the remaining potatoes. I suggested that while doing that Andrea could water the herb garden and then pick some blackberries. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, we had some storms move through that dropped an inch of rain or more on us. While this knocks me out of harvesting the potatoes, the rain was much needed.

After talking with my Dad earlier, I may end up not harvesting the potatoes right away after all. He suggested that it might make more sense to leave them in the ground until we're ready to use them, so we don't have to worry about finding a suitable storage place. This wouldn't be a problem if we had a root cellar, which is a project we need to start thinking about. I haven't done a great deal of research on root cellars yet, so that needs to get added to my to-do list.

On days like today I tend to use the rain as an excuse to not do anything productive. With the cooler temperatures that came with the rain, I really should try to find something to do outside. Perhaps I would be more likely to do so if I had a good spot to work on projects in the dry. That is something I need to consider. At the very least, I should try to use days like to day to do research for future projects or read a book about a skill I want to learn. Maybe I'll go search for some good references on root cellars, or maybe pick out a book to buy on the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment