Friday, January 24, 2014

Itasca Winter Snow Boots

I have been looking for a good pair of winter boots for the past couple of years. This year I picked up a pair of Itasca Winter Snow Boots as a Christmas gift. The pair I have are slightly different than the ones linked to, but the differences appear to be entirely cosmetic.

The boots have a rubber bottom and leather upper. They feature thinsulate insulation, which is very nice in cold temperatures. I've had a chance to put the boots to the test in both water, and cold temperatures, and have, so far, been very pleased.

These boots are not going to be water-proof, nor do they claim to be. However, I was able to cross the shallow creek on our property without getting my feet wet. Obviously this is very important in a cold weather boot, since wet feet very quickly turn into cold feet in low temperatures.

My biggest priority was finding a pair of boots that would keep my feet warm. So far these have exceeded my expectations in this regard. Yesterday I slipped them on, without socks, to walk down to the mailbox. The temperature was around fifteen degrees fahrenheit, and, in addition to the boots, I was wearing insulated underwear with sweat pants over that, a t-shirt, sweatshirt, and insulated hooded sweat shirt, gloves, and a toboggan. By the time I got back to the house my feet were the warmest part of my body, even though I wasn't even wearing socks. That meets my criteria for cold weather performance, since temperatures rarely drop below twenty degrees here, at least during normal winters.

Fit was another considering when choosing these boots. I have wide feet, and often find it difficult to find boots that fit correctly. The rubber boots I have, for example, are too narrow to be comfortable for more than short periods. The Itasca boots, however, fit great. In fact, I think they might be the most comfortable shoes that I own. I suspect this is, at least partially, due to the padding and insulation.

Having only owned these boots for a month I can't comment on their ruggedness. They seem to be well constructed, but only time will tell how well they hold up. If I run into any issues I'll be sure to update this post with that information.

So far I'm very happy with the boots, and would recommend them to anyone needing a pair of insulated winter boots for occasional use. They certainly do the job I need them to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment